Applications for Screenwest and Screen Australia’s Out Now Initiative close Monday, 25 January 2021 at 5:00pm AWST. Apply now through the Screenwest SmartyGrants Portal.
Do you have a bisexual vampire genre romance? Awesome! Or, maybe you have a lesbian time-travel drama? Great! What about a children’s show about a mischievous puppy with two mums? Cute! Think outside the box and stretch the bounds of LGBTQIA+ stories on screen.
Six applications will be shortlisted and receive $2,000 in development funding. These six shortlisted teams will then take part in a series of development workshops to get their projects in the best shape possible to apply for production funding.
Following the development workshops, up to three of the shortlisted applicants will receive up to $100,000.00 per project in further production funding from Screenwest and Screen Australia.
Teams applying for funding must be:
- Be a Western Australian resident filmmaking team (producer, writer, director).
- Have an LGBTQIA+ identifying writer and director attached.
- If applying for the Indigenous strand, two out of three key creatives (writer/director/producer) must identify as Indigenous. One of these key creatives must be the writer.
- Be able to complete the series within one year of the date of their contract (including projects that contain animation or CGI).
- Have a separate producer and director attached to the project. Submissions with director/producer applicants will not be eligible.
The project must also be episodic (a minimum of two episodes) and no longer than 30 minutes in total length. For full guidelines please visit the Production page of the Screenwest website.
How to Apply
The full guidelines, application materials and eligibility criteria are available on the Production Funding page of the Screenwest website.
All program guidelines are to be read in conjunction with the Screenwest Terms of Trade.
Applications will be accepted through the Screenwest SmartyGrants Portal.
An application receipt will be forwarded to the applicant within two working days to confirm that Screenwest has received the application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact Screenwest if an application receipt has not been received within this timeframe.
Here are some tips from Screen Australia’s Senior Online Investment Manager Lee Naimo and Online Investment Manager Alyce Adams to help you with your Out Now application!
- Screen Australia – Previously Funded
- Screen Australia at a Glance
- Screen Australia Beginners Guide
- Screen Australia Pathway to Audience Guide
- Screen Australia Podcast: Making a Successful Web Series
- Screen Australia Podcast: Everything You Need to Know About Online Funding
- Screenwest Podcast: How to Make a Successful Web Series Featuring Luke Eve (Part 1)
- Screenwest Podcast: How to Make a Successful Web Series Featuring Luke Eve (Part 2)
- WA Screen Diversity Facebook Group
For more information about this program, please contact:
About Out Now
Out Now is the first Australian scripted funding initiative open exclusively to LGBTQIA+ web series proposals. Screenwest with the support of Lotterywest has teamed up with Screen Australia and is looking for projects to cut through on an online platform, from LGBTQIA+ Western Australian creative teams keen to shape the future of LGBTQIA+ storytelling.
In line with Screenwest’s current Indigenous Screen Strategy, Out Now will support at least one project with an Indigenous writer and director attached. Screenwest will be assisted by Western Australia’s Centre for Stories to source and develop LGBTQIA+ stories and talent, and connect creatives together.
Listen to our podcast – In Conversation with Screenwest for a behind the scenes look at the world of screen production as world-class film, television, documentary and digital media practitioners share their experiences, insight and expertise.
View the WA Screen Industry Calendar to see what’s happening in the screen industry in Western Australia.