Screenwest Announces over $900K for Eight Documentary Projects
Screenwest is pleased to announce eight brilliant projects will receive a share of over $900,000 through the Documentary Development Investment and Documentary Production funds.
Projects of an exceptionally high calibre were reviewed through the two competitive funding rounds.
The Documentary Development Investment fund provides support to Western Australian Producers with distinctive, high-quality and diverse projects with strong Western Australian outcomes.
Screenwest Documentary Manager Paul Williams said, “Screenwest is very pleased to be supporting the development of the projects from established and emerging Western Australian documentary practitioners.”
The Documentary Production Fund provides production finance for feature length documentary films and factual series with significant marketplace attachments from traditional and new online platforms and distributors.
“Western Australia has an amazing reputation for producing considered and highly engaging documentary projects, and we are delighted to be able to support some brilliant productions through the latest documentary funding rounds,” explained Franziska Wagenfeld, Development and Production Executive at Screenwest.
Letters of Offer have been issued to the following projects.
Documentary Development Investment Fund Recipients
- 6 x 50 minute factual television series
- Production Company: Mago Films
- Director: Sam Field
- Producer: Paloma Bartsch
Synopsis: In the heart of the outback, Australia’s real-life Crocodile Dundee and his strange-but-true family do whatever it takes to carve out a living in Australia’s wild, wild west.
DEEP SEA DISCOVERY
- 1 x 1 hour documentary
- Production Company: Terra Australis Productions, Vam Media
- Writer/Producer: Johnny Debnam
- Producer/Director/Co-writer: Brendan Hutchens
Synopsis: An adventurous team of unique Aussie shipwreck divers discover, by chance, a ghost of the deep, sending them on a journey that will change their lives in a way they never imagined.
- 8 x 1 hour Observational Documentary Series
- Production Company: Prospero Productions
- Executive Producers: Ed Punchard, Julia Redwood & Jules Fortune
- Development Producer: Emma Wilkes
Synopsis: In one of the hottest places on the planet there’s one road that pushes emergency services to the limit.
- 1 x 75 minute Feature Documentary
- Production Company: Aquarius Productions
- Producer/Director: Richard Todd
- Writer: Sarah Rossetti
- Editor: Lawrie Silvestrin
Synopsis: SANTULIT is a majestic, dialogue free feature documentary, which reveals how the World was once perfectly in balance, until humanity’s destructive actions caused catastrophic imbalance, culminating in the many ways humanity is now uniting to urgently achieve global rebalance.
THE SWEET ART OF JANICE WONG
- 6 x 30 minutes series
- Production Companies: Mago Films, CM Films
- Executive Producer: Marian Bartsch
- Producer/Writer: Paloma Bartsch
- Director/Writer: Carmelo Musca
Synopsis: Internationally renowned dessert queen and artist Janice Wong takes us on a journey of inspiration through Asia to create some of the most incredible edible art pieces in the world.
Documentary Production Fund Recipients
JAIMEN HUDSON: FROM SKY TO SEA
- Feature length documentary
- Production Company: Sea Dog TV International
- Producers: Jodie De Barros, Leighton De Barros
- Associate Producer: Jaimen Hudson
- Writers: Fiona Tuomy, Leighton De Barros
- Director: Leighton De Barros
- Mentor Director: James Bogle
Synopsis: An expectant father with quadriplegia from a remote coastal town in Western Australia, Jaimen Hudson is on a quest to become a professional wildlife cinematographer and pursue his childhood dream of filming the Great White shark, from underwater.
AUSTRALIA’S HEALTH REVOLUTION WITH DOCTOR MICHAEL MOSELY
- 3 x 53 minute television series
- Production Company: Artemis Media
- Series Producer: Nia Pericles
- Executive Producer: Celia Tait
- Writer/Researcher: Katrina Tudor
Synopsis: Backed by the latest science, can renowned science journalist Dr Michael Mosley and local sports physiologist-turned diabetes warrior, Ray Kelly revolutionize the nation’s health and reverse type 2 diabetes across the country, saving both lives and limbs?
OUTBACK CAR HUNTERS
- 10 x 60 minute television series
- Production Company: Catch & Release
- Director/Executive Producer: Nathan Gibbs
- Producers: Dan Brown, Jacqueline Willinge, Nathan Gibbs
Synopsis: Abandoned classic cars from all over the world are scattered right across the Aussie Outback and some are worth a fortune to those lucky enough to find them.
About the Funds
Documentary Development Investment Fund
Documentary Development Investment funding is designed to support Western Australian companies and individuals by investing in the development of documentary and factual programming.
More information on this fund is available on the Documentary Development Investment Fund page of the Screenwest website.
Documentary Production Fund
Provides support to Western Australian Producers with distinctive, high quality and diverse projects with strong Western Australian outcomes. The Documentary Production Fund provides production finance for feature length documentary films and factual series with significant marketplace attachments from traditional and new online platforms and distributors.
Applications for the Documentary Production fund are currently open, closing Monday, 10 February 2020 at 5:00pm AWST.
More information on this fund is available on the Documentary Production Fund page of the Screenwest website.
Listen to our podcast – In Conversation with Screenwest for a behind the scenes look at the world of screen production as world-class film, television, documentary and digital media practitioners share their experiences, insight and expertise.
View the WA Screen Industry Calendar to see what’s happening in the screen industry in Western Australia.