Travel Funding for AIDC Hot Docs
Applications Open for Travel Funding to be part of the AIDC delegation of documentary and factual practitioners to attend Hot Docs
Screenwest has opened a travel funding round to assist up to 3 Western Australian non-fiction filmmakers wishing to attend Hot Docs, North America’s largest documentary festival and marketplace, in 2020.
The Australian International Documentary Conference (AIDC) will lead a delegation of documentary and factual practitioners to Hot Docs, which takes place from Thursday 30 April to Sunday 10 May 2020 in Toronto, Canada. The world class industry program will run from Monday 4 May to Friday 8 May 2020.
About Hot Docs Travel Funding
A limited number of All-Access Passes to Hot Docs are now available for Australians at a 30% discount rate (CAD$675.00+HST), providing full access to the festival and suite of industry programming. AIDC has also partnered with Air Canada to provide a 10% discount on flights to Toronto. These rates are available through AIDC*
*These rates are available to all practitioners, however Screenwest will only support up to 3 successful applicants with Travel Assistance, through a competitive application process.
Screenwest will offer a set funding amount of $4000 under both of Screenwest’s travel funding categories, Travel – Business & Marketing and Travel – Skills Development & Exposure. As this is a set funding amount, a budget will not be required as part of the application process.
Practitioners are to apply under the appropriate travel funding category. Guidelines and application materials are at the links below. Please apply through Market Events & Conferences category.
- Travel – Business and Marketing (for practitioners with two or more recognised credits)
- Travel – Skills Development and Exposure (for emerging and mid-career practitioners)
Benefits for Australian practitioners attending as part of the AIDC -Led delegation include:
- full access to the Hot Docs Festival screenings and conference sessions;
- access to apply to Hot Docs one-on-one Deal Maker Meetings with broadcasters and funders from around the world (closing date to apply through AIDC is 20 January 2020);
- access to apply to Hot Docs Distribution Rendezvous meetings with top-level distributors, sales agents and festival programmers (closing date to apply through AIDC is 12 March 2020).
- access to the Hot Docs Forum, Hot Docs’ renowned international co-financing event, showcasing the best projects from around the world to a round table of international buyers and industry observers. Forum lunches are included for delegation members. (closing date to apply through AIDC is 6 January 2020).
- One free film submission to the Doc Shop, Hot Docs’ on-demand digital video library for international buyers and programmers (a highly discounted rate can be negotiated for additional titles). All submitted films will be featured in a prominent playlist on the website’s homepage. The deadline to submit films for inclusion in the Doc Shop through AIDC is 20 March 2020
For more information and to apply for the above benefits, please keep an eye on the AIDC delegation website: https://www.aidc.com.au/initiatives-and-awards/delegations/
This AIDC-led delegation will be part of a reciprocal delegation being organised with Ontario Creates, with a number of Canadian producers attending AIDC 2020 in March. The reciprocal delegation program will provide those involved with targeted business and networking activities across AIDC and Hot Docs with the objective to increase opportunities for official co-production deals across the sector.
Please note that as this is a competitive round, funding is not assured even where an applicant meets all the minimum eligibility criteria.
Applications for Travel Funding support through Screenwest close Wednesday, 18 December 2019 at 5:00pm AWST.
For more information about this program, please contact:
Listen to our podcast – In Conversation with Screenwest for a behind the scenes look at the world of screen production as world-class film, television, documentary and digital media practitioners share their experiences, insight and expertise.
View the WA Screen Industry Calendar to see what’s happening in the screen industry in Western Australia.