The AACTA nominations are in and Western Australian feature films have received a whopping 16 nominations across 3 films, the highest for WA to date.
Of the five features contending for Best Film Presented by Foxtel, two hail from Western Australia, HOUNDS OF LOVE and JASPER JONES, who are up against BERLIN SYNDROME, LION and ALI’S WEDDING.
- HOUNDS OF LOVE – 9 nominations
- Best Film Presented by Foxtel – Melissa Kelly
- Best Direction – Ben Young
- Best Lead Actor – Stephen Curry
- Best Lead Actress – Emma Booth
- Best Supporting Actress – Susie Porter
- Best Original Screenplay – Ben Young
- Best Cinematography – Michael McDermott
- Best Editing – Merlin Eden
- Best Hair and Makeup – Hayley Atherton, Kate Anderson
- JASPER JONES – 6 nominations
- Best Film Presented by Foxtel – Vincent Sheehan, David Jowsey
- Best Supporting Actor – Hugo Weaving
- Best Adapted Screenplay – Shaun Grant, Craig Silvey
- Best Sound – Liam Egan, Trevor Hope, Robert Sullivan, Yulia Akerholt, James Andrews, Les Fiddess
- Best Production Design – Herbert Pinter
- Best Costume Design – Margot Wilson
- RED DOG: TRUE BLUE – 1 nomination
- Best Cinematography – Geoffrey Hall
WHITELEY also received high recognition with five nominations in the Documentary category.
- Best Feature Length Documentary – Sue Clothier, James Bogle, Peta Ayres
- Best Direction in a Documentary – James Bogle
- Best Editing in a Documentary – Lawrie Silvestrin
- Best Sound in a Documentary – Ric Curtin, John Simpson, Lawrie Silvestrin
- Best Original Music Score in a Documentary – Ash Gibson Greig
Western Australian Ash Gibson Greig also received a nomination for Best Original Music Score in a Documentary for BLUE.
A complete list of nomination can be found here.
The APRA/Australian Guild of Screen Composers Awards that are being held in Melbourne on 13 November also has Western Australian productions in strong contention:
- WHITELEY – nominated for Best Music for a Documentary
- SHAUN MICALLEF: STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN – nominated for Best Music for a Miniseries
Congratulations and best of luck to the teams from each nominated production.