Boab trees, Derby © TWA Boab trees, Derby © TWA

Screenwest wishes to advise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander visitors that this section may contain images, voices and names of deceased persons

If you are filming on Indigenous lands you will need to obtain a permit which is granted through the Aboriginal Lands Trust  at the Department of Aboriginal Affairs.  There is no cost for the permit, which is a legal requirement under the Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority (AAPA).  People of Aboriginal descent, members of either House of Parliament in both the State and Commonwealth Governments and others authorised by the AAPA are exempt.

Permits are granted for a period of time sufficient to allow travel through the reserve by the most direct route. Permission can also be obtained from the resident Aboriginal communities for applicants who want to travel off the main road.  Permits are not required for travel on public roads. For more information about other location film permits visit our Location Film Permits page.