Skip to main content

Screenwest Update: COVID-19 measures in place. Visit our COVID-19 FAQ page for more details.

Screenwest Funding and Support

What and Who Does Screenwest Fund?

Screenwest utilises grant funding provided through the State Government of Western Australia and other strategic partnerships to fund the creation of Western Australian scripted and documentary screen projects.

Screenwest is not a producer or a film studio, so we do not make content, but instead support the creation of screen projects from talented screen creatives in WA.

  • ‘Drama’ and ‘Scripted’ are terms which means a scripted story (narrative), but it can be any genre, including comedy, sci-fi and action.
  • ‘Documentary’ references projects that meet the definition of the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) documentary guidelines. It covers screen content including feature documentaries, television and web series, and some VR projects. It excludes content like reality TV, news, current affairs, sports coverage, and travel shows.

Screenwest funds individual screen practitioners, production companies, film festivals, and market events, through sponsorships. To find out more about what Screenwest does and doesn’t fund take a look at the Screenwest Terms of Trade and the funding programs on offer on our website.

How does Screenwest Distribute its funding?

Screenwest utilises grant funding provided through the State Government of Western Australia and other strategic partnerships to fund the creation of Western Australian scripted and documentary screen projects.

Screenwest is not a producer or a film studio, so we do not make content, but instead support the creation of screen projects from talented screen creatives in WA.

  • ‘Drama’ and ‘Scripted’ are terms which means a scripted story (narrative), but it can be any genre, including comedy, sci-fi and action.
  • ‘Documentary’ references projects that meet the definition of the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) documentary guidelines. It covers screen content including feature documentaries, television and web series, and some VR projects. It excludes content like reality TV, news, current affairs, sports coverage, and travel shows.

Screenwest funds individual screen practitioners, production companies, film festivals, and market events, through sponsorships. To find out more about what Screenwest does and doesn’t fund take a look at the Screenwest Terms of Trade and the funding programs on offer on our website.

How do I apply for Screenwest funding?

First, carefully read the funding guidelines of the specific program or initiative you are interested in, along with the Screenwest Terms of Trade, to ensure that you, your company or your project is eligible for that fund. All funding guidelines are available on our Funding pages.

Next, check the application closing date and make sure you have gathered all the information required for your application.

Finally, submit your application. We are transitioning to using the SmartyGrants Online Grants Portal for all funding applications to provide an easier, streamlined process for both applicants and Screenwest. All Screenwest funding rounds currently open for applications on SmartyGrants can been seen at Please read our SmartyGrants Guide for tips on submitting your application.

For funding programs that have not yet been set up on SmartyGrants, please download and complete the relevant Application Form from the Screenwest funding page and email all required application materials in one email to For emails larger than 8MB, send through Screenwest’s Hightail Account.

If you have any further questions, please get in touch with the relevant Program Manager contact. Their contact information is on the last page of the program guidelines and on the Screenwest staff page.

What does Screenwest do with my submitted application materials?

Protecting your materials and personal information is of the utmost importance to Screenwest. Application materials submitted to Screenwest via the SmartyGrants portal are stored within this Grants Management System, managed by Our Community. For more information, please refer to the Our Community Privacy Policy.

Screenwest handles all material sensitively and confidentially. Any application materials shared with third party assessors are only done so only after any confidentiality and / or conflicts of interest (COI) have been declared and a COI declaration signed and returned to Screenwest.

Please ensure any scripts shared with Screenwest include the Title of Work, Year of Completion and Name(s) of Author(s) as a minimum.

Application materials will not be returned to applicants.

View the Screenwest Privacy Policy.

How long will it take for my application to be assessed?

  • Production Funding: 6 – 8 weeks
  • Development Funding: 6 – 8 weeks
  • Indigenous, Diversity and other initiatives: as per program guidelines

Please be aware that these timelines are to be used as a guide only. The assessment timeline may be extended if Screenwest receives an unusually high volume of applications for a funding program.

All applicants will be emailed a Confirmation of Submission acknowledging the application has been received by Screenwest. It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact Screenwest if they do not receive a Confirmation of Submission within two working days.

If it has been longer than 8 weeks and you have not received notification as to the outcome of your application, you can contact the program manager for an update.

Can Screenwest provide me with feedback on my script, project or idea?

We are unable to provide script feedback on projects that have not been submitted as part of an application to a specific funding round, program or initiative. We do not take unsolicited scripts, as we are do not offer a script assessment service.

Those in consideration of a specific funding round, program or initiative should contact the relevant program contact for advice on when they will receive feedback on their application. We also cannot provide feedback on your script, project, or idea before you submit it for a funding round, program, or initiative.

The Australian Writers’ Guild (AWG) offers a paid Script Assessments service for its members that may be helpful in soliciting professional opinion about your script.

I don’t live in Western Australia. Can I still apply for Screenwest Funding?

There are several Screenwest funding programs designed to attract interstate and international productions to film in Western Australia!

Eligibility varies by funding program, so always check the guidelines for the program you are interested in, or speak to Screenwest before applying.


Non-Western Australian applicants are only eligible for certain development initiatives and programs, provided that:

  • you’re in a genuine partnership relationship or co-production with a WA resident company, or
  • the project will bring significant economic and/or ongoing creative opportunities to the state and/or outstanding benefits to the WA industry.

Please see the individual Development Funding program guidelines for more information.


Non-Western Australian companies can apply for:

  • Western Australian Screen Fund (WASF) where the project can demonstrate it is likely to bring strong economic and/or cultural opportunities to the State, or it will benefit the Western Australian screen industry or Screenwest’s position.
    • Stage 1: Regional Scouting and Community Liaison Assistance
    • Stage 2: Production Funding
  • Western Australian Post-Production, Digital and Visual Effects Rebate
  • Production Attraction Incentives
  • Screenwest Scripted and Documentary Production Funds: If you are in a Genuine Co-Production or an Official Treaty Co-Production with a WA resident company, you can access Screenwest Scripted and Documentary Production funding, although the Western Australian Resident Producer must be the Applicant and a party to the Screenwest funding agreement.

Please see the individual Production Funding program guidelines for more information.

For more information about co-productions check out the Screenwest Terms of Trade, the Australian Co-Production Program managed by Screen Australia website or contact our Production Attraction and Services Manager. Contact details are listed on the Screenwest staff page.

Indigenous, Diversity, Games & Interactive, Travel Support, Capacity Development and Screen Culture Funding Programs

Funding through these programs are only available for Western Australian resident practitioners, companies, and activities, unless otherwise stated within special or individual initiative guidelines.

For the definition of a Western Australian resident, or resident Company, please refer to the Screenwest Terms of Trade.

Screenwest Payments and Information Requirements

What information do I need to provide so my payment can be processed?

Screenwest (Australia) Ltd has set procedures that ensure internal controls exist to enable accurate and efficient practices for documenting, recording, and issuing payments.

If an organisation or individual is receiving funding from Screenwest (Australia) Ltd for the first time, it is a requirement that a Supplier Creation Form be completed.

An updated form is also required in the event there are changes to any of the following:

  • Trading name
  • ABN
  • Address
  • Banking details
  • Email address i.e. automated payment notification when the invoice is paid.
  • Contact phone number

The completed Supplier Creation Form should be forwarded to your Screenwest program contact.

Invoice Payments for Funding Recipients

For a funding invoice to be endorsed for payment, all contractual requirements specific to the funding agreement must be acquitted and approved by your Screenwest program contact under the Screenwest Delegations of Authority.

If you are unsure of your contractual requirements, please liaise with your Screenwest program contact.

Once the invoice has been endorsed, it will be forwarded to our Finance team for processing. Payments are processed weekly each Thursday; provided you have met all contractual requirements and the Finance Team have received the endorsed invoice by close of business on a Tuesday.

Ensure all information is correct at the time of submission as this may cause payment delays.

Invoice Payments for General Suppliers

Payment of non-grant funding invoices will be made in accordance with 30-day payment terms.

Your Screenwest contact is responsible for confirming the receipt of services / goods and that the endorsing of the invoice for payment is conducted as per the Screenwest (Australia) Ltd Delegations of Authority.

Endorsed invoices will be forwarded to our Finance Team for processing.

Payments are processed weekly each Thursday; provided services / goods have been received and the Finance team have received the endorsed invoice by close of business on the preceding Tuesday.

What do I need to include in my invoice / tax invoice?

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides guidance on invoice requirements. If you are unsure that your invoices contain all the information necessary to meet the requirements, refer to the Australian Tax Office website.

It is important that you do not repeat invoice numbers.

If an invoice number is duplicated the invoice will be rejected in our Finance system and will result in payment delays.

How will a grant or investment affect my tax and benefits?

Grants and investments may be subject to taxation in accordance with the provisions of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 and may also affect benefits that you receive from Centrelink.

Screenwest recommends that you seek professional advice from the Australian Taxation Office, Centrelink and/or a qualified tax agent for clarity on your responsibilities as a funding recipient.

Screenwest-Funded Projects

Where can I find information on Screenwest-funded projects?

Screenwest publishes all funding approvals on its website regularly, including the project name, recipient company or individual, and the program it was funded through as they appear in their official funding offer.

Full details of all funding approvals from previous financial years are available to the public in Screenwest’s Annual Reports.

You can also browse our Made in WA Production Highlights for a showcase of Screenwest-supported scripted, documentary and interactive screen projects, including feature films, documentaries, television series, children’s programming, multi-platform projects, web series and more!

Is Screenwest able to provide personal or contact information for funding applicants?

Screenwest is committed to safeguarding the privacy of its customers and employees. Screenwest will only collect personal information from its employees, suppliers and customers ethically and lawfully. Personal information shall not be disclosed to third parties without the permission of the owner.

Screenwest does however, have a Crew & Services Directory – a free comprehensive online resource with contact details and key information on Western Australian film, television and digital media industry professionals, production companies, facilities and equipment rentals.

The Crew & Services Directory enables you to locate local film, television and digital media industry professionals and support services. The database allows you to customise a search by category, name, company and credits.

All practitioners listed have had their credentials approved against set criteria by Screenwest.

I’m looking for a copy of a film or TV series that Screenwest was involved in. Can you help?

We’re unable to provide or source copies of film or television series. Try searching online or contacting the project’s distributors directly.

Distributor information can usually be found though IMDB or a Google search. You can also try the National Film & Sound Archive.

About the Screen Industry

What are the main stages in the life of a project?

The main stages of a screen project are development, pre-production, production, post-production and distribution.


This is the creation, writing, organising and planning stage of a project. It is the groundwork phase that determines what the project will be and how much it will cost to make.

The development process can take months or even years. The people involved in the development stage is quite minimal compared to all the other stages, as it’s just a small group of creatives crafting the story and associated budget. Once a project finds finance, it will move into the pre-production phase with an emphasis on shooting dates and time frame for the project to be finished.


‘Pre’ as it’s widely known is where scripts are amended, budgets are adjusted, actors are cast, locations scouted, crews employed, shooting schedules amended, sets designed and built, costumes made and fitted, and everything to do with the shoot is planned and tested. The pre-production stage can last many months from the initial greenlighting of a project to when cameras actually roll. As this date draws closer, the crew grows with many people being employed.


This stage is where the rubber hits the road and the project is ‘shot’. The Writer, Director, Producer, and countless other creative minds finally see their ideas captured on film. Production is usually the shortest of the five phases, even though it is paramount to the film and where most of the budget is allotted. Production is the busiest time, with the crew size increasingly immensely and shoot days becoming longer in order to be as efficient as possible with all the gear and locations on hire.

Shooting hours each day can be up to sixteen hours. Projects run to strict schedules with the cast only contracted for a certain timeframe, so the crew is crucial in squeezing out every bit of energy to see the project successfully completed on time.


So now you’ve spent most of your budget, and hopefully have shot some decent footage in the process. Now it’s time to move into post-production. This is where the footage is edited, the sound is mixed, visual effects are added, a soundtrack is composed, titles are created, and the project is completed and prepared for distribution. Although the shooting crew has done a lot of hard work, now the post-production crew face arduous hours of work ahead of them to piece together the scenes and craft a stunning story.


Without a decent distribution strategy, the other four stages of production can almost become somewhat redundant, at least from a business perspective. Distribution is the final stage in a project for producers looking to make a return-on-investment. This can be from cinema distribution, selling to a TV network or streaming service, or releasing direct to DVD.

Whatever the plan is, the producers will have spent many hours planning and marketing their piece to ensure the biggest audience and largest return. With the digital age and rapidly converging technologies, viewers are watching content in new and different ways, meaning that the distribution phase is constantly evolving.

Although distribution is the final stage of the project, the channel of distribution and marketing of the project will be planned in pre-production.

I’ve got this great idea for a film or I'd like to adapt my book… where do I go to from here?

You will need to develop it, either by writing it yourself or hiring someone to write it for you. Contact the Australian Writers Guild (AWG) for script formats or for a list of writers and their rates of pay.

In order to progress a novel to film or animation, you would need an experienced film producer on board. If you plan to approach a producer with your project, you may need to do some research on which producer might be best suited to your project.

The Screenwest Crew & Services Directory also has a list of Western Australian key creatives, including writers and producers.

How do I get into the film and television industry?

Firstly, you should consider what area of the film and television industry you want to work in such as production, camera, lighting, direction, sound, or post-production. You may also like to narrow it down to whether it is scripted or documentary you are interested in.

The Screen Australia website has a number of useful online resources, including the information guide, ‘Getting Started – Film, TV, online & interactive’.

Western Australia has screen media courses held through a number of tertiary institutions; Curtin University, Murdoch University, WA Screen Academy, North Metropolitan TAFE, University of WA or SAE.

If you have just completed a course of study in screen media, then it may be useful to volunteer on a local production to gain further experience and contacts. You can contact a local production company that has a project gearing into production to inquire about potential attachment or volunteer opportunities. If you have decided what your area of interest is, you can contact the relevant professional Heads of Department in the state to indicate your interest and ask questions. These are often your best resource to find out what work is coming up, how to get work and how to further your career in the screen industry.

Screenwest also offers a number of Capability Development programs, including Crew and Above-the Line Attachment programs to assist with paid, on the job learning outcomes.

Once you have worked on a few productions this can lead to further paid or unpaid work opportunities and will increase your knowledge of the screen industry. Take advantage of the many social networking opportunities that happen in WA to further increase your contacts. Screenwest has regular industry networking events, as well  – keep an eye on the Screenwest website for upcoming events.

I’m new to the industry/studying film and TV. How do I get my foot in the door or get specific advice regarding my preferred field?

There are a number of local organisations and resources you can use to assist you if you are just starting out within the West Australian screen industry.

There are also a number of guilds and organisations that operate within Western Australia that promote the development of emerging talent.

These include:

  • The Professional Film Crew WA organisation offers Associate Memberships for those who do not qualify under their full membership criteria. This allows you to still receive their quarterly newsletter, discounts and invitations to PFCWA events, and network opportunities with industry professionals.
  • The Australian Writers Guild which provides a number of resources for emerging and established screen writers.
  • The Australian Directors Guild which provides a number of resources for emerging and established screen directors.
  • The Australian Cinematographers Society (ACS) which provides a forum for cinematographers to further develop their skills and allows for student memberships.
  • The Australian Screen Editors (ASE) which in addition to a number of useful resources also has a mentoring scheme for emerging screen editors.
  • The Australian Screen Sound Guild (ASSG) which regularly hosts panels, seminars and round tables focusing on issues of importance to the sound for screen community and also offers guidance via their online forums.

Filming in Western Australia

Do I need a producer?

Unless you intend to produce the film by yourself, you will need a producer. Producing is a specialised field and if you are a new filmmaker we suggest that you engage the services of an experienced producer.

The producer should be approached in the early concept stage and they would expect a two to three page outline of your consolidated ideas. You can then concentrate on writing and let the producer worry about everything else!

You will find a list of local producers in the Screenwest Crew and Services Directory or you can contact the Screen Producers Australia (SPA).

How do I find a director, producer, writer, or crew member?

The Screenwest crew and servies directory is a free comprehensive online resource highlighting Western Australia’s professional crews, producers, production equipment and facilities.

Australian crew are also listed in the Production Book and the Mumbrella Directory or you could contact one of the Western Australian Screen Industry Guilds.

Can I get people to volunteer to work on my production for free?

If a project receives Screenwest funding, Screenwest requires that all freelance crew be paid fees not less than the industry award rate based on a 50 hour week as per the relevant Award available from the Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA). Screenwest will recognise exceptions agreed to by MEAA.

Screenwest requires that all cast be paid fees not less than the industry award rate as per the relevant Actors Feature Film Agreement or the Actors’ Television Programs Agreement 2013-2015, available from MEAA.

Where do I find cast and crew rates?

The Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA) website has award rates listed.

Rates will vary dependent on the type and length of production as well as the cast/crew members’ level of experience. Often the rate will be personally negotiated with the producer, Line Producer or Production Manager.

Award rates vary year to year, so make sure you visit the MEAA website for the most up-to-date information.

Do I need to get a visa for international performers or crew working on my project?

Non-residents seeking to enter Australia to work in any capacity on a screen production will be required to obtain the relevant entertainment visa prior to entering Australia. Information about entertainment visas can be obtained from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

The Migration Regulations require the Australian sponsor to consult with the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance (MEAA) in relation to performers or related personnel in Film, Television or Online Productions and Broadcasts. See the MEAA website for more information on this process.

Where can I find sample cast and crew contracts?

Sample contracts can be found on the Arts Law Centre of Australia website.

The Arts Law Centre of Australia (Arts Law) is the national community legal centre for the arts.

Do I need Film Production Insurances?

Every production is unique, and there are a number of risks associated with different filming formats, techniques and even locations. A lot can go wrong, from expensive equipment malfunctions to actors falling ill. There are also liability risks from injuries to people and damage to property on location or in the studio.

Your film production insurance plan will need to include a number of different coverage types, such as but not limited too:

  • Film Producers Indemnity (Cast Insurance): The usual people insured are Principal Actors, the Director and the Producer.
  • Negative Film Risks: This covers Accidental Physical Loss or Damage to Negatives, Videotape or digital images.
  • General liability: This portion of your policy will provide coverage for injuries on set to anyone associated with the production besides direct employees, as well as any damage your production may cause to other people’s property.
  • Equipment protection: This coverage will provide protection for your photographic and digital recording devices, or Props, Set & Wardrobe used in connection with a production. Cover can also include equipment such as edit suites and office equipment & computers.
  • Professional liability: Also known as “errors and omissions” or “E & O” insurance, this coverage can be particularly important to the film industry and protects you against risks like libel, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, and defamation of character.
  • Workers Compensation: Provides health protection for staff employed by the production company in the event of work-related injuries or illness. You may be required to carry this insurance, depending upon the nature of your business, how many people you employ and your state requirements.
  • Money: Covers Money used in connection with a Production such as ‘petty cash’ on location.
  • Voluntary Workers Personal Accident: provides volunteers with Personal Accident insurance whilst they are undertaking their duties as a volunteer.
  • Motor Vehicle Insurance
  • Travel

International Companies filming in Western Australia require Public Liability insurance issued in Australia.

For more information read this Film Insurance Profile prepared by Craig Shand of McKenna Hampton Insurance Brokers.

What is an A-Z budget and how do I prepare one?

The industry standard A-Z budget is intended as a guide to preparing budgets in the format that is usually required by funding bodies. A-Z budgets for a variety of genres can be downloaded from the Screen Australia Document Library and are intended for all projects, regardless of whether or not you are applying for the Producer Offset.

Sample layouts for a range of commonly used documents in the film industry including cost reports, timesheets, schedules, production checklists and rights clearance forms can also be downloaded from Screen Australia’s Tools and Insights Sample section on their website.

How do I find a Location Scout?

Screenwest has a list of Western Australian location scouts and location managers in our Crew & Services Directory.

The Crew & Services Directory provides contact information for members of the Western Australian screen industry who are open to work.

Browse the full directory to find the perfect practitioner to help you bring your next project to life.

How do I find out about getting Locations permissions and/or permits?

Access and use of land in Western Australia comes under various forms of control – public, private and pastoral.

For more information about Location Permits, read our Filming in Western Australia Film Friendly Resource.

Are there protocols for working with Indigenous content or Indigenous communities?

There are protocols for working with Indigenous content and communities. Screen Australia has developed the document Pathways and Protocols: A filmmaker’s guide to working with Indigenous people, culture and concepts.

Please note that if you are filming on Indigenous lands you will need to obtain a permit which is granted through the Aboriginal Lands Trust at the Department of Aboriginal Affairs.

For more information and to access resources, please visit our Indigenous Resources page.

Does Western Australia have any rules about filming with children?

Production companies are legally bound to comply with the Children and Community Service Act 2004 (WA) and the School Education Act 1999 (WA). A child means a person who is under 15 years of age.

It is illegal to employ a child of compulsory school age during the hours the child is required to attend school, except where there is a Notice of Arrangements or school exemption. Children who are employed for extended periods should receive education tutoring from a qualified tutor away from the immediate set.

The proposed Supervisor of Children employed to work on a production must have a current “Working with Children Check” card, which is mandatory for people employed in child-related work in Western Australia. The Working with Children Screening Unit, part of the Department for Child Protection, is responsible for administering the WWC Checks.

Western Australia observes the ground rules of the Mandatory Code of Practice for the Employment of Children in Entertainment (2014) and the NSW Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) (Child Employment) Regulation 2015 .

Children under six must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or responsible person nominated by the parent. Where the child is less than 16 years old, the producer must ensure that suitable safe arrangements are made for travel between home and work. The child should get a 10-minute break every hour and a one hour break every four hours. No child should commence a working shift unless 12 hours has expired from the end of the previous shift.

No child shall perform stunts or be involved in stunt car sequences.

Is there a Code of Practice for using animals in a film?

If planning to work with animals, an appropriately experienced animal supervisor must be employed, and all relevant permits are obtained. Each state administers its own separate Act. Western Australia’s is The Animal Welfare Act (2002).

Its accompanying regulations provide an overall legal framework for ensuring all animals in Western Australia have appropriate standards of care.

There is no specific code relating to film and television in WA but producers are strongly advised to abide by the Victorian Code of practice for the welfare of film animals. The following Codes of Practice can also be referred to:

Where can I find information on film safety?

Work health and safety legislation requires productions to have in place safe systems of work to address safety risks to cast, crew, others and property. A production safety report is required by all productions in receipt of Screenwest funding, and as per the Film and Television Safety Guidance Notes, must engage a graded safety consultant to write a safety report in compliance with the Film Industry Safety Code.

These links will provide you with further information on film safety:

  • WorkSafe– A division of the Department of Commerce, the Western Australian State Government agency responsible for the administration of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984.
  • Western Australian Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984– Australian Film Industry Recommended Safety Code.
  • WorkCover WA– The government agency responsible for overseeing the workers’ compensation and injury management system in Western Australia and monitoring compliance with the Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act, 1981.

Do I need permission to film on roads?

The relevant local council and/or Main Roads Western Australia must give written permission for any filming activities conducted on public roads / streets.

Visit our Filming In Western Australia resource for more information.

I need to stop traffic while we film a sequence. Can I do this myself?

If traffic is being stopped, held or diverted, or if filming is to take place on roads, the filmmakers need to have appropriate approval from the local council, the Western Australian Police and Main Roads Western Australia, and it will often be necessary to submit a traffic management plan (TMP) to council. State Transit Authorities, private bus companies, tour operators and emergency and essential services may also need to be informed.

Traffic control must be carried out by individuals authorised by the Main Roads Department. In some cases, police are used, at cost to the production company.

In metropolitan locations traffic controllers are usually booked through an experienced traffic management firm, and in rural locations the local council will often provide authorised traffic controllers, at cost, as required.

Visit our Filming In Western Australia resource for more information.

Can I use a drone for shooting purposes?

As of 28 January 2021, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) requires that all drones used for commercial purposes must be registered.

CASA defines the commercial use of a drone as anything you’re doing for hire or reward, such as for business or as part of your job. For example, if you’re a production company strapping a camera to a drone for the purposes of gathering footage, or if you’re flying something into the air to test it via drone, that’s commercial use and your drone must be registered.

From 28 January 2021, you can be fined up to $11,100 if you fly an unregistered drone or without an operator accreditation (or remote pilot licence) for business use or as part of your job.

All drone operators, whether for recreational or commercial use, must ensure they abide by the current CASA drone safety rules or risk penalties of up to two years in prison and/or a fine up to $26,640.

Visit the CASA website for drone operation rules, registration, penalties and enquiries.

Do I need permission to use vehicle mounts for filming activities?

The application form Film Industry Request for Department of Transport Exemption from Requirements of the Road Traffic Code 2000 During Filming Activities complies with Department of Transport requirements for issuing the exemption.

Recommended safety practices for filming activities involving vehicle mounts are also covered in the Film & Television Safety Guidance Notes and the Film Industry Recommended Safety Code.

Failure to comply with relevant regulations could expose the production to criminal prosecutions, may affect the production’s insurance coverage, and should an incident occur, WorkSafe along with the Western Australian Police Force may instigate an investigation

Visit our Filming in Western Australia Film Friendly resource for more information.

Do I need to notify anyone if our production is using toy or replica weapons?

The Western Australian Police requires notification of any screen production activity that involves special effects, firearms, weapons or mock firearms and mock weapons that have the potential to create public concern within local communities. It is the responsibility of the Producer to provide that notification.

The local police station in the area the activities are being conducted must be advised so they can notify the Police Communications Branch of your filming activities. It is the responsibility of the Producer to provide that notification.

Visit our Filming in Western Australia Film Friendly resource for more information.

© Copyright 2021 Screenwest (Australia) Ltd Back to top